If you are a facility that hydrotests compressed gas cylinders, you need to read this. The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), is proposing to amend CFR Title49, section 180. This is the section that pertains to cylinder re-qualification.
A petition from the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) and others to incorporate the Pamphlet C-1 into the regulations is being considered and recommended by the PHMSA. If this happens, this regulatory change will adversely effect the safety of this industry and add an unnecessary monetary burden to all DOT licensed facilities.
What Does The Inclusion of The C-1 Pamphlet Mean To DOT Licensed Cylinder Re-Qualifiers ???
At a Minimum:
• New expansion indicating (EID) components
• Additional pressure gauges (PID)
• Additional calibrated cylinders
• New test record forms or software
• Training to understand these new regs.
• Mobile re-test facilities ( fire extinguisher mobile shop) will be limited to a 100 mile radius.
WHAT EVERY DOT RE-TEST FACILITY NEEDS TO DO !!!
• Comments close on September 26th, 2016.
• All cylinder retest facilities need to read the Proposed Regulations.
• Please Make Comments - This Is Your Business !!
• Whether you agree with PHMSA or not, you need to make your opinion known. See Federal Register, Page 48978 for how and where to make comments.
• This is Your Business - Do Not Let Proposed Regulations Get Passed Without Your Input.
A link to the Federal Register is: http://www.hydro-test.com/Federal%20Register%202016-16689%20.pdf
A link to a good summary by Hydrotest Products can be found here: http://www.hydro-test.com/Comments%20Docket%20No.%20PHMSA-2011-0141.pdf